April 12, 2022
Chatting with the neighbours: Bell Sport & Classic event special
If you’re a motoring enthusiast lucky enough to be the owner of a classic sports car, or a modern supercar, then you may well be familiar with our neighbours here in Markyate, Hertfordshire: Bell Sport & Classic. Dedicated to the sale, restoration, and highly specialist maintenance of luxury classic cars and supercars, this company, founded by Peter Bell over 30 years ago, has a rich and interesting history. Fast forward to 2022: Bell Sport & Classic not only sell and service cars, but also love to enhance the fun of owning of a supercar by hosting a series of exciting events. We have been supplying event furniture hire to Bell for several years now, and we always love to hear what they have planned! We caught up with Sophie, event organiser, to find out more:
1. Sophie, last time we interviewed you for a feature was in summer 2020 when you were running outdoor cinema events in the middle of the pandemic! How does it feel to be able to go back to planning regular events again?
Fantastic! Our clients are keen to start socialising again, and getting out and about in their cars. So demand for events has never been greater. We are still very conscious of safety, so covid-safety precautions are still a big part of our event planning.
2. Things were very tough for a while in the events industry throughout the pandemic. How have things been in the classic car business?
Sales continued throughout the pandemic and didn’t seem to slow down at all! There was a combination of people having a bit more time at home and the feeling of ‘you only live once’ – starting to think back to the car they always dreamed of owning. This feeling of nostalgia may have contributed to the high demand for classic cars.
3. What sort of events do you have coming up at Bell Sport and Classic in the coming months?
We have a couple of coffee mornings coming up, an evening get together in summer, some track events and then hopefully (still in planning) another F1 screening in September.
4. Are your events open to the public, or do you have to own a classic car?
You don’t need to own a classic car, as we service and sell modern supercars too. Restoration, service and sales clients of Bell are always invited but we do also extend that to our official partners First Point Insurance, Charles & Dean Finance and clubs such as the Ferrari Owners Club.
5. How important are trusted suppliers for your events? How do you go about sourcing suppliers for your events?
Trusted suppliers are critical to the success of our events. I always try and use recommendations and local, quality suppliers. Relationships are so valuable when it comes to planning and activating events.
6. Do you find there is a Bell Sport and Classic ‘signature style’ that you go for when planning a ‘look’ for an event? Or does it vary?
Our signature can vary between modern and sleek to a more rustic, barn-style ‘look’. Our facility is a combination of the two. (The sleek indoor look that you see pictured in this feature was achieved with a combination of our immaculate white faux leather Club Lounge Sofa, and co-ordinating glass-topped Cabo Tables.)
7. What do you consider to be the top three most important things to consider when planning an event?
-Safety – this has always been the most important aspect, and will continue to be so. For guests and staff.
-The guest experience. The most important thing for us is that our clients and friends have fun, and enjoy spending time with us.
-Budget. It seems obvious, but budgets can easily run away with you if not considered as a priority. We are a business after-all!
8. Finally, please tell us what appeals to you most about Rio Lounge event furniture hire!
Such a friendly team! Our enquiries are always answered promptly, changes and amendments always accommodated and the furniture itself I cannot fault. Clean, high quality and looks incredible!
Many thanks to Sophie for chatting to us for this feature. Why not also check out our previous features on Bell Sport & Classic?.
It’s fantastic to hear from our regular hirers getting back to planning a full season of events. If you have plans for this summer, please do get in touch to plan your event furniture hire as soon as possible. Don’t delay: the diary is filling up and many items are selling out quickly! Send us an email with your requirements.